Desserts are delicious, no question. It’s just a pity that most of them are anything but fit for fitness and boycott many an athletic goal with their calorie, fat and sugar content.
Why are desserts like cakes unhealthy?
They are sweet, powerful and provide a lot of energy. A slice of American cheesecake has about 600 calories, and you don’t skip dinner because of the cake.
So, unfortunately, the muscles quickly disappear under a layer of fat. Butter, sugar and white flour, the main ingredients of most cakes, unfortunately offer your body nothing but calories, unhealthy fat and fast carbohydrates, which are often stored as fat if not used immediately.
Protein, on the other hand, is contained in very few dessert recipes. Until now: our delicious and healthy suggestions provide you with high-quality protein, so you don’t have to feel guilty when you treat yourself to a brownie or muffin after your workout.
Chocolate Protein Brownies
Juicy, chocolatey and with a delicious crunch. These protein brownies are not only bursting with protein, they also contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids thanks to the walnuts. The overripe bananas also ensure that no sugar needs to be added.
- 80 g Whey (chocolate, o.ä.)
- 50 g fine rolled oats
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons strongly deoiled cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 20 g chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and mix with all the ingredients in a blender. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Put the dough in a brownie baking dish (alternatively, a small casserole dish will do) and bake for about 20 minutes.
Juicy cheesecake with blueberries
The mighty American Cheesecake is a fat calorie bomb, containing an incredible amount of fat due to plenty of butter and lots of double cream cream cheese.
In contrast, this protein cheesecake convinces with a high protein content, a fluffy yet moist consistency and with a crunchy base.
Ingredients for a 19cm springform pan:
For the base:
- 40 g coconut oil
- 5 heaped tablespoons of almond flakes
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP Xucker light
- 1 pinch salt
- oil or butter to grease the cake tin, if desired
For the dough:
- 200 g low-fat curd cheese
- 200 g cream cheese (heavy cream, but skimmed cream cheese will also work)
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBSP Xucker light
- 2 tablespoons Whey
- 1/4 Tüte Backpulver
- 2 tbsp. fine oat flakes
- 1 organic lemon
- 200 g blueberries
- Minze (zur Dekoration)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 19 cm springform pan with a little oil or butter.
- Blend coconut oil, x sugar, salt and egg with a blender. Then fold in the slivered almonds. Line the springform pan with the mixture.
- Mix the low-fat quark, cream cheese, eggs, Xucker, Whey and baking powder in a bowl until well blended. Fold in oatmeal and the zest of a lemon.
- Pour the mixture into the springform pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Let the cake cool down and decorate it with blueberries and some mint.
Protein muffins with chocolate chips
Butter, sugar, white flour and milk – not much more in classic muffins. Tastes good, but unfortunately does nothing for your body except a lot of calories, empty carbohydrates and fat.
There is another way: The main ingredient for the protein muffins are black beans. And they contain not only 21.6 grams of protein per 100 grams of dried beans, but also satiating carbohydrates and fiber, as well as numerous vitamins. Don’t worry, you won’t taste the beans at all.
- 75 grams of dried black beans
- 3 eggs
- 75g strongly deoiled baking cocoa
- 100g whole spelt flour
- 150 g low-fat yogurt
- 70 g Xucker light
- 1 pinch of salt
- 50 g Bitterschokolade
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Cook black beans according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and coarsely chop dark chocolate.
- Place all ingredients except the dark chocolate in a large bowl and mix well with a hand mixer. Fold in dark chocolate.
- Pour the dough into muffin tins and bake for about 15 minutes.
Dessert does not always have to be unhealthy. With a few tweaks, you can create delicious protein-packed brownies, muffins, or an egg-white cheesecake. Your conscience and your six pack will be pleased.